So the title of this blog is "Crafting with Crystal" a place to share my passion for paper crafting and other things. Today's post falls under other things! I have a confession...my number one passion isn't paper crafting, it's reading. I know scandalous! I blame this on my Kindle. It makes it so easy to get books. I purchased the Kindle DX in 2009 and now have over 500 books archived on it. On some blogs I visit I've seen posts recently about their top books of 2011. I thought I'd share mine here. I went back over the 150+ books I read this year and this is my top ten books or authors from the year that I highly recommend.
1. Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning: I couldn't believe my luck when the release date in January turned out to be a snow day! I spent it reading this 5th and final book of the Fever series. If you like urban fantasy then give this a try, but start with the first one obviously.
2. Anything by Marie Force: I discovered this author and have read everything that she has available. She writes contemporary romance and the "Fatal Series" which I categorize as a mystery / crime drama series. As far as I'm concerned Marie Force cannot write fast enough for me!
3. Life From Scratch by Melissa Ford: I would place it in the literary fiction / chick lit category. It's different from most of the books I read, but I enjoyed it enough to read it twice!
4. Anything by Jill Mansell: She started my British chick lit phase this year! Miranda's Big Mistake was one of my favorites of hers.
5. Just One of the Guys by Kristan Higgins: Chick lit / romance books that are set in New England, and I love how the characters are pet owners. I picked my favorite I read this year but really I have 8 of her books on my Kindle and gave them 5 stars!
6. Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella: A continuation of my British chick lit phase! After reading and rating Jill Mansell books Amazon suggested this author. I hadn't heard of her, but she is the author behind the popular Confessions of a Shopaholic series from which the movie is based. I've since read that series and her other books. Can You Keep a Secret is my favorite of hers and may very well be my favorite of the year. I just reread it again a few days ago and still laughed out loud!
7. Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost: When I was looking for a new vampire romance series this came suggested at a blog. I decided to try the first book and now I'm hooked. I just hope it doesn't get stale like my once loved Sookie Stackhouse series.
8. Life, Love, and a Polar Bear Tattoo by Heather Wardell: This is another author from the chick lit genre that had several books I read this year. There's one book of hers I haven't read because I know how it ends and I need to be in the right mood to read. :( They can't all be HEA.
9. Blood Bound by Rachel Vincent: This author finished an urban fantasy series last year that I was sad to see go, but it was time. I'm glad she started a new series. If you like urban fantasy but are tired of vampires and shifters try this one.
10. Love You More by Lisa Gardner: This is another book in a favorite genre of mystery / crime drama. I started reading this author in 2010. She had my favorite book from that year The Neighbor.
11. OK, I want 11 for 2011 but this book is actually my most anticipated book for 2012! Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series is another take on vampire romance / urban fantasy. The 10th book in the series comes out on January 24. It's already pre ordered for my Kindle and I'm thinking about taking a personal day to read it on release day. Darker After Midnight centers around Chase Sterling, my favorite character.
I'd love for you to leave me a comment about your favorites. I'm looking for some new authors and books to tide me over until Darker After Midnight. I'm trying to get into the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy. I hear it's slow but I need to stick with it.